livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] From Food Crisis to Food Sovereignty

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pego Rice <firekeeper38@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] From Food Crisis to Food Sovereignty
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 16:16:09 -0800 (PST)

I am going to have to firmly stand on policies, rather than overpopulation as primary cause for famines.

While overpopulation, drought and primitive farming methods are the popular flogging boys of politicians and corporate pundits for famine,  most, if not all of the last 200 years of major famines have been all about colonial take-over of food production systems for export. http://www.usbornefamilytree.com/irishfoodexports.htm

Overpopulation is a problem for the future, right now, it is a cause for increased population stress crime rises, for increased disease transmission, for environmental destruction. The lands of famine, tho, are underpopulated compared to their neighbors, http://www.larouchepub.com/other/2008/3517brit_imperial_famine.html Famine and war are what politicians use to take money and food away from the poor and give it to the rich. It is what politicians use for retro-active birth control, what corporations use to break individual land and job ownership to create a version more easily profitable to themselves.  http://www.globalissues.org/article/10/food-aid-as-dumping

So many of our military activities have been about policies like these. Troops to serve the corporations over their laborers and the communities they have invaded under the falsehood that it is patriotic and defensive.  Tho how anybody but the young believe that anything we repeatedly do overseas, to other lands has anything to do with protecting ourselves is sometimes quite beyond me; http://rationalrevolution.net/war/major_general_smedley_butler_usm.htm

Yours, Pego