livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] From Food Crisis to Food Sovereignty

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pego Rice <firekeeper38@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] From Food Crisis to Food Sovereignty
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 22:46:16 -0800 (PST)

I dunno about Europe or Britain but the US has fielded troops nearly 300 times in the last 200 years to "assist" trade.  Not very free, that trade, and it is certainly unsustainable, but I do tend to classify it as economic imperializm.  After all, if you need a gun to make your trade it is not a fair exchange.  100% agreement that it is ruinous to ecology.

Yours, Pego

<<< again I basically agree with this Pego but I am afraid I look more to the ecological impacts of even "fair trade". Many countries export food or timber for money. What they don't realise is that by doing that they export their mineral supplies which will never be replenished.  Eventually massive global trade will prove to be completely unsustainable and the "sellers" will end up severely impoverished. You don't need imperialism to create ecological problems.>>       John >>