livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Egg Production

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Egg Production
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 21:55:48 -0000

Laying is determined through greens in the diet and light hours per day and to a lesser extend temperature.When the temperature here dropped to -14 C all our free range chickens stopped laying. Some ducks kept it up.
There are commercial egg producers who have layers on a 3 hour light 2 hour dark regimen and they manage to get 4 eggs per day.Of course the chickens only last a short time then and the eggs are not really healthy to eat.
There are also artificial hormones that increase laying. They sell "Layers Mash" here that would almost make a cock lay eggs.
Our old breed birds average 2 eggs every three days with a stop when they molt of a month or more. Some of them live happily to more than 10 years old.
john

In my first year with chickens, I've observed a serious variation in seasonal egg production. Peak production was one egg per chicken per day. Minimum was none for a few days. Assuming that this is normal, I'd like some input on how to smooth egg availability. How, other than refrigeration, does one preserve/store excess eggs? Are there ways to manage a flock that enhances or delays egg production?

E. E. "Mitch" Mitchamore
www.hillcountrynatives.net