livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Egg Production

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Liz" <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Egg Production
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 12:59:40 -0500

I won't have my chickens until late next week, so can't comment on seasonal variation (except to say that I know they stop laying when they molt).

I preserved 12 dozen eggs in waterglass a couple of years ago, just as an experiment. We ate the last of them about six months later and while the whites had begun to thin out. they were otherwise in fine shape. Very glad I decided on the experiment, because just after I bought the eggs from a local farmer, raccoons got into his chicken house and he lost more than half of the hens. The rest were so traumatized by the experience that it took a long time for them to begin laying again. If we hadn't had those eggs in a big crock, we'd have been buying supermarket eggs again (yuck).

You can get waterglass from Lehmans. Other places have it too, but when I bought mine, Lehman's had the lowest price. The eggs do need to be very fresh, no more than 24 hours old, and should not be washed. I've been told that you can just reach into the crock or bucket to remove the eggs, but I found the solution to be very irritating to my skin, so I used a plastic spoon.

Liz

----- Original Message ----- From: "Emery Mitchamore" <emitch@att.net>