livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] about biochar and food

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] about biochar and food
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 23:48:48 -0000

There is doubt about the "Gulf Loop Current" stalling due to BP and reports may be months out of date by now. There's an informative page on thermohaline circulation (Gulf Stream for the rest of us...) at http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/cru/info/thc/ and it says:

"A recent intercomparison of changes in the North Atlantic THC simulated by a number of different General Circulation Models as a response to global warming (Gregory et al. 2005) showed that the THC weakens gradually in all of the climate models that were investigated, but it collapses in none of them."

paul tradingpost@lobo.net

The interactive page also says : "Whether it will collapse can not be stated with certainty ...but... Due to the potentially serious impact on our climate of a collapse of the THC, it must be regarded as a LOW RISK, high impact event that can not be ignored."

Do I notice belief in the power of positive thinking here? Also, this model was made pre BP interference in the Gulf. And that air circulation will partly take over from oceanic currents is something I have long been afraid off. In New Zealand they are suffering from winds between 130 and 160 km/hr these days at times. Few of our shelter belts would survive this with our shallow soils and we have seen serious wind damage to buildings here with winds of just 120 km/hr.
We can only hope for the best (and try to prepare for the worst).
john