livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] about biochar and food

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] about biochar and food
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 18:39:51 -0000

That said, I wouldn't make a good doomsday prophet myself, but on the whole I'm more than convinced all these circumstances are converging. Some facts I'm certain of, that millions are being lavished by certain billionaires and vested interests on talk show characters to ridicule climate change. And it's strains belief that global warming is a worldwide conspiracy by tens of thousands of scientists and some governments, all with nothing to gain from it.

paul tradingpost@lobo.net

The problem with global warming is that the situation is getting more complex by the day. The planet is warming and therefore the Greenland ice cap is melting (fast) However fresh water floats on top of salt water and this could cause changes in the heat exchange from the gulf stream for a while. Op top of this, I read yesterday that thanks to the BP disaster in the Gulf the "Gulf Loop Current" of warm water has stopped. Because of this the investigating scientists were predicting a mini ice age in Europe and Northern America. We are probably already seeing the effects of that for temperatures have never in human memory dropped as low as -20 in Ireland before.
I can understand that it is difficult for people to understand that we are warming up the planet while they get frozen like never before.
More difficult even is to understand that it temporarily gets colder locally precisely because globally it gets warmer.

Personally I think that there are some powerful indications that yes, our species has the capacity to change the life system on our planet/space ship and second that these things can change much faster than anybody would have believed even five years ago.
john