livingontheland - [Livingontheland] rising plateau

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] rising plateau
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 18:39:30 -0700

This price from Tom seems to support my best guess for fossil fuel prices and
what effects prices should have on growing and our way of life in general.
I've bet on gradual upticks in our cost of living and cost of fossil fuel
based agriculture. Tom reminds us that higher prices depress demand and that
tends to reduce prices to some extent. That scenario would turn skyrocketing
fossil fuel costs into a rising plateau. Not that that's good for
cash-strapped poor and middle class, but better than some predictions. Based
on that most people have some time to wake up and smell the compost.

But this "not so bad right away outlook" depends on the economy not taking a
disastrous nosedive. There are dire storm warnings over many imminent state
and city bankruptcies, unfunded pensions that can't ever be paid, reak estate
equity still sinking, QE2, and the list goes on. Every one of these things
threatens another group's income and cost of living. I mention it because the
TV cheerleaders can't. And every kind of downturn rachets up the need for
local food security. Even with all the uncertainties I'm expanding the raised
beds again for next season and betting on higher prices for produce.

The Peak Oil Crisis: 2011 – A Pivotal Year?
By Tom Whipple Wednesday, December 29 2010 01:32:34 PM
http://www.fcnp.com/commentary/national/8133-the-peak-oil-crisis-2011--a-piv
otal-year.html

paul tradingpost@lobo.net

“The future ain't what it used to be.”
-- Yogi Berra

  • [Livingontheland] rising plateau, Tradingpost, 12/29/2010