livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Oats as a crop?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Debbie McDonald <lbirke1@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Oats as a crop?
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 14:52:01 -0700 (PDT)

I'm using it for a future hay crop as these goats are too darn persnickety about what they eat. I read that barley hay and oat hay was great for goats, and so that is what I was aiming for. Aliza's suggestion on a drill seeding, I asked about and they said that would work great. I have to ask my neighbors if they have that to borrow. My ground is not mulched, we had drought conditions the end of summer and it fried everything. I started mowing the weeds down but tragedy struck and that is a whole nother story:O. A little tractor mishap. I'm goiing to do soil testing pronto if I get my self in gear. I have several compost heaps of used goat bedding but that is about it. People that planted in Sept like normally would be done, have gotten no where so far and there has been no rain so I am not late:)  Does this make sense and answer your ? :)