livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] What should I do?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dan Conine <dconine@bertramwireless.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] What should I do?
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 15:11:02 -0500

A lot of the future will depend on ignoring some code or another. The CSA is a good example where providing cheap housing is the key to getting the work done on a large scale. Building and health codes will have to be recreated to fit the 'live-in' model, or they will be ignored and unenforceable.
Dan C.
Belgium, WI, USA
Message: 4
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 19:26:40 -0600
From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>

Just a note - I'm not against any CSAs that can succeed in the right
places.Even our own marketing must be to the upscale clientele because it's
the only way we can take in enough to keep growing and selling. So no one
model of retailing seems to fit everywhere. Those who can't afford CSAs or
market prices can sometimes grow their own or work with someone else who can.
Many cannot for obvious reasons. It seems some operations could use regular
help from the homeless or destitute in return for shares of the production.
Food security for the low/no income groups definitely concerns me. I don't
see any future for uncompensated volunteers in this economy. Still looking
for answers to this.