livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Sprouts

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dan Conine <dconine@bertramwireless.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Sprouts
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 15:14:22 -0500

Thanks Bob! This sounds like something I need. I can do this!

Dan C.
Long time ago I made a lot of sprouts. I found tap water was not good but
distilled or spring water was. Tap kills some of the bacteria you want. I
would take a plastic 55 gallon plastic drum and drop a bag made out of
mosquito net with about 20 pounds of any grain into the bottom and cover
with water. Let it soak over night. The next day lift the bag and hook on to
an eyelet that was installed in the center of a plastic lid so the bag is
above and not touching the water. Next put a fish tank aerator in the bottom
and turn on the pump. That will pump air in to the water and prevent it from
getting sour but it also keeps the atmosphere in the drum at a very
saturated humidity so you do not have to spray or wash until you are ready
to harvest the sprouts. This method allows you to really put a lot of
sprouts out. If you have trouble with your water going bad you can put a
couple of caps full of hydrogen peroxide in the water as long as the bag is
not touching the water. That polyester window screen material would make a
good bag and if you need smaller quantities the nylon paint bags would work.
With smaller bags you could hang 10 different kinds of seed food and sprout
in the same container at the same time. Remember the sprouts really grow in
size. My favorites?: mung, barley, chana dal, rye, Kamut, black eyed peas,
soy beans, rice, alfalfa and then all the rest. Storing grains and legumes would seem to be a sensible thing to do as you
can grow or sprout. Knowing all the edible plants in your area of the
country that are growing wild might be a good thing. If you have a good
selection of solid hand tools you will always have ways to sustain yourself.

Bobc