livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] two agricultures not one

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <harvey@themodernhomestead.us>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] two agricultures not one
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 06:45:41 -0400

On 09/29/2010 08:36 PM, Barbara Money wrote:
We can't grow currents or gooseberries in Rhode Island; they carry pine rust. Our native rose hips are pretty small, but I guess they'd do in a pinch and one could dry them if one beat the birds to them.

Rugosa roses that produce quite large hips have been bred and should be fairly easy to locate. I got my three from Edible Landscaping. (http://eat-it.com/ and key in "pavement rose" in the search box)

What about mulberries, do they store well?

Mulberries can be dried and stored just like raisins. I don't know how the Vit C content stacks up against ribes spp. or rugosa rose.

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Va
www.themodernhomestead.us

My book, THE MODERN HOMESTEAD POULTRY FLOCK, will be published next year by
Chelsea Green Publishing.