livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] two agricultures not one

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Barbara Money <bmoney9@verizon.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] two agricultures not one
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 19:19:09 -0400

From: Pete Vukovich<pvukovic1@yahoo.com>
To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing
<livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>

What about service berries? Not sure how well they store off the plant ?
but they're pretty hardy, and typically are around the size of a blueberry.

For that matter why about ?a native blueberry?
Not sure what sort of dimensions you're looking for but another relatively
hardy plant that stores reasonably well is pomegranate.?

---

Yes Pete, serviceberries/shadbush (Amelanchier spp.) grow well around here, they would probably harvest similiarly to crabapples, so would need to be dried or frozen. They were traditionally made into jellies, but I want to avoid a huge sugar input. (I've heard of a jelling product that doesn't require sugar--Pomona something? I'll have to look into it.) I planted some blueberries, but won't see a harvest for another year or so. Same with the apricots I planted. I don't know if pomegranates will grow around here (zone 5 or 6 depending who you ask).

Barbara M
Foster, RI

--
"Animals Are A Gift"