livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Groundwater Depletion Raises Likelihood of Global Food Crises

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <harvey@themodernhomestead.us>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Groundwater Depletion Raises Likelihood of Global Food Crises
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 06:56:57 -0400

On 09/30/2010 12:47 AM, Tradingpost wrote:
I've been mentioning water issues before but it's not a glamorous subject
apparently.
paul

In an essay I read recently, Wendell Berry quotes an agricultural economist blythely dismissing the problem of pumping the Oglalla aquifer out of existence: "Nonsense! We can pump the aquifer another 50 years before it runs out." That's our timeline: If it's longer than *my* lifetime (indeed if it's longer than quarterly earnings) it can be ignored. And no awareness whatever that depleting the aquifer means not just finding another place to pump but desertification over a huge area.

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Va
www.themodernhomestead.us

My book, THE MODERN HOMESTEAD POULTRY FLOCK, will be published next year by
Chelsea Green Publishing.