livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] The only way to tell what your soil really needs???

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: mdnagel@verizon.net
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] The only way to tell what your soil really needs???
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 02:17:35 -0500 (CDT)

"And I have yet to see any significant evidence of some key elements missing
in well-composted and amended soil"

But... what is "well composted and amended soil?"

I'm not trying to be difficult here, but just saying these words provides no
real clarification or present an apparent guide as to how one achieves this
state of balance >should there be a significant imbalance<.

I am in total agreement that balance is key, but when that balance is out of
whack it seems that there would be a need for _more_ , or less, of something
to put it back in whack. And, given that it's clear that different crops
take up different amounts of minerals I think that it's pretty safe to say
that different crop residues won't necessarily replace the minerals extracted
and exported from another crop.

I have not, and will not, suggest that soil tests are some magic bullet, I
know better than that. But on the other hand I don't believe that any random
composting of materials is a magic bullet for just any soil deficiencies.

Again, I'm not arguing that soil tests can be all that knowing/telling. As
you note, soil is very complex, in which case "well-composed and amended
soil" seems, to me, to be a bit too simple of a guideline to address
imbalances: do I get more cow/horse manure, or do I get more <fill in the
blank>? Sure, over time if one were to overwhelm existing deficient soil
with "balanced" amendments then one would achieve a balance.

"Variety is a simple thing; the Rodales and other organic writers have long
urged incorporating plant matter from various plants rather than just a
single plant source."

Again, simple enough to state, but how does one know whether one has got
enough "various plants?"

>From what I've read the key foundation is the ratio of calcium and
>magnesium, that these control the availability of all other minerals. From
>Julius Ruechel's book "Grass-Fed Cattle: How to Produce and Market Natural
>Beef" (pgs. 168-169) he writes:

Soil fertility is controlled not by individual minerals in the soil, but
by the overall balance or ratio of minerals. A colloid is the smallest soil
particle, made up of either clay minerals or organic matter. It is like a
little wafer that attracts and holds mineral ions through electrical charges.
(Mineral ions, also called cations, are nonorganic soil elements - calcium,
magnesium, nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, sulfur, copper, zinc, and
so forth - that have acquired an electrical charge.) This is essentially how
soil nutrients are stored in the soil. Each mineral element represents a
certain percentage of the available sites (called base saturation) on each
colloid.

The plant draws nutrients from the colloid through its own electrical
charges in the roots and not acids. When the balance of elements is correct,
the plant is able to access each nutrient according to its needs. If the
ratio of mineral ions on the colloid is incorrect, the interaction of
electrical charges among the various minerals ions will cause some elements
to be bound more tightly to the colloid while others are held more loosely,
making it difficult for the plant to access the correct proportion of
minerals.

---

Yes, balance is key!

-Mark Nagel