livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] sustainable

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] sustainable
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 22:57:47 -0600

Preserving seeds that produce well on little water is necessary. But in wide
use it seems like poor use of land in some cases. A lot of small plots should
be producing as much as possible, if done sustainably, because the people
need all the nutritious local food they can get. It also needs crops
irrigated where it's feasible that yield higher calories per acre or square
foot or more of other nutrients than the big field grains. We don't really
need half our diets coming from various grains when we can produce far more
calorie dense nutrition from beans, potatoes, and other crops on the same
amount of land. Not that we need all that grain with the nutrition refined
out so it'll keep better - empty calories. And looking ahead, how many
millions of acres of low yield grains will be grown without fossil fuel
powered machinery - or any machinery for that matter?