livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] sustainable

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: <pbunch@cox.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] sustainable
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 16:49:10 -0700

Sounds like the Extremadura.

---- Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Here in the South of Portugal, we have extremely arid conditions.
> Grasshoppers are everywhere. Most people find that if you keep chickens in
> or around the garden (for example with movable fences), that will greatly
> reduce grasshopper populations.

We have different types of seeds that are traditionally grown with very
little water. These are mostly beans, chickpeas and other legumes. There is
also a special variety of corn that is grown without rain during the summer.
Sunflowers also don’t need much water. Tomatoes and onions, once they are
established, also get by with very little water. Even though the skin of the
tomatoes tends to get a little hard if it gets too dry.

During the winter we have more rain, still the soil never really gets
completely wet as in other parts. We have clay soil which is ideal for wheat
during the cool season. Rye and other grains need more water.

Dieter Brand
Portugal