livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Lester Brown on rising temperatures

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: mdnagel@verizon.net
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Lester Brown on rising temperatures
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 01:46:19 -0500 (CDT)

"Otherwise I can't explain our ridiculously low profit per hour taking into
account the months of growing and tending before we ever get to market. It's
all uphill in this big ag subsidized economy and cheap, toxic food onslaught."

But... the fact that you are able to do it, THAT _IS_ the thing! (duly noting
your inspiration)

In essence it's about subsistence. One either can sustain, or one cannot.
Excess means the extra will be shed. Not enough means, well, not enough.

In the end it will be about being able to operate off of the sun (no, not
solar panels!). The sooner that we peg operations based on this, the sooner
that we'll be sustainable.

And for a bit of encouragement for us seeking lower, more sustainable
positions in life:

Miserable Pursuits by Dmitry Orlov
http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/Archives2010/OrlovMiserablePursuits.html

-Mark Nagel