livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Lester Brown on rising temperatures

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pego Rice <firekeeper38@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Lester Brown on rising temperatures
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 22:31:53 -0700 (PDT)

I haven't seen the particular site you sent Paul, but I'm well aware of, and referenced in my previous post (if you will notice) the "climactic optimum"  that this site referenced (while it pretended not to know/misrepresented the limits of that optimum ).  I also paid attention to what that site attempted to throw away, which is that, (even disregarding the great likelihood that present course being followed we will wildly overshoot that point) the transitional periods are being brought on with a great deal more rapidity than natural, but will STILL take a few lifetimes and during those lifetimes will cause enormous devastation.

This is another avenue of propaganda.  Admit to what they have, so far, not been able to dismiss, but magnify the unlikely benefice to the detriment of the critically important. This is much the reason I go on, every so often, to encourage people to familiarize themselves with the dialectics of propaganda and misinformation.  Since the 1940s to today we've been so inundated with it that we HAVE to educate ourselves in face of it.

To my good fortune,I spend more of my time with people actively pursuing change, Pete, but I don't think that we see so many differing things.  I do keep in mind that over the last 80 years he people who are aware of the problem, move to change and to talk to others about both have grown from something like a hundredth of a percent to something well over that in the US population.  You are right that for the rest, it will be the dreadful events, like Katrina that accumulate and turn this from minority to mainstream but we have hit that critical mass.  At least I am hopeful that we have.

Yours, Pego

<<I see little evidence anywhere in the mainstream that the concept of growth in a finite world is being challenged, and I'm not talking just about the media , government and so forth. What seems to be particularly absent (in my opinion as though it mattered) is an emergence of sustainable retreat. Maybe its just the people who are around me, the place I live , or my own blinders, but I just don't see it.? >>