livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Lester Brown on rising temperatures

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Lester Brown on rising temperatures
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 21:56:22 -0600

IMHO, from all I see going on it's impossible to restrain the powers that be
in this economy. Congress is paralyzed and wholly owned by financial,
insurance, and real estate (FIRE). So we'll be restrained when mother nature
does the restraining - at terrible cost. Some say the tipping points have
already been tipped and nothing can be done now anyway; I don't know. But
people will always need food and learning better ways of producing it under
adverse conditions with low tech is my course.

On the hopeful side a local market we need has been reborn under new
management, after flaming out last year. We restarted there today and it was
one long day. What drives us growers is hard to pinpoint but maybe it's the
personal chemistry between growers and customers - nothing of the sort in
supermarkets of course. Otherwise I can't explain our ridiculously low profit
per hour taking into account the months of growing and tending before we ever
get to market. It's all uphill in this big ag subsidized economy and cheap,
toxic food onslaught.

"As long as we value healthy food and cooking so much less than doctors
and hospitals, we will keep paying more and more for doctors and hospitals."