livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Garden plans

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: birdwalk@frontiernet.net
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Garden plans
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 14:15:05 +0000 (UTC)

love the raised beds. we too did concrete blocks only I have them 3 blocks
high (24 inches). adding a level next year as leaning over the 3 vs 4 blocks
makes a big difference to my back. 4 feet wide including block is good and
most are 40 30 - 40 feet long. I used micro jet irrigation but like the idea
of the water shooting up into the plants to knock down bugs.... we filled
the sides with sand as that helps hold moisture and we can plant

I added cattle panels to some of the beds for the vining things and
tomatoes... permanent.

we placed them along one side about 6 inches in - gives planting room and
allows the other side of the bed for other things such as the beans - okra -
eggplant - beets and such.

as the tomatoes would get to tall to harvest them we treat the panel as a
trellis and tie the tomatoes along sideways as they get taller.

we filled the bottom with old hay and barn clean out shavings and 'hazanga'
we have had to add more compost and good dirt top as the hay in the bottom
rots down. this gave us a couple years to keep adding stuff instead of
having to have it all at once.

the beds are 4 feet apart or separate as site dictated. between the bank of
beds we added carpet scrap to keep the weeds down and allow better footing or
wheelchair 'roll'

other wise they are on level ground and easy access.