livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Garden plans

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Garden plans
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 22:37:56 -0600

Great details on my pet topic, raised beds. Or permanent beds as I like to
call them. You have the background and knowhow to make comparing notes very
useful. I don't make progress by being satisfied. Lots of people can grow;
growing a lot in small spaces and growing well with a minimum investment of
time and money is a whole nother matter.

It's late for me but I have to get in a couple things on this. My beds are on
a slight slope, stepping down to the east with beds running north and south.
I left 2 1/2 feet between for room to kneel transplanting and move a
wheelbarrow between. They're 3x8 with four foot aisles running east and west,
room to turn a wheelbarrow around in. I level the beds surface so water will
soak in evenly, with hay mulch applied after transplanting or seeds
sprouting, and use soaker hoses in most beds on top of the mulch. It cuts
watering from once a day to about once a week in the hottest weather (arid
climate, 5000 elev), and just by connecting hoses to the soakers in sequence
I can get other jobs done while the beds soak. Saving time on routine jobs is
the name of the game. Without some system I couldn't grow enough beds to make
two markets worthwhile. Hope we can get back to this. Sunup comes early now.