livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] The Truth About Vegetarianism

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Tommy Tolson <healinghawk@earthlink.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] The Truth About Vegetarianism
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 21:49:05 -0500

I'm not certain that "organic" and "agriculture" go together.  Agriculture is part of the main reason we've lost so much topsoil.  Agriculture is domination of the land by humans lacking the foresight to care for the land.  I suggest that what we do when we grow organically is called "horticulture." It's the last human food production system that was sustainable, as far as I can tell.  How much of the present human population it will feed is, as far as I can tell, unknown.

The UN isn't talking about choice, though, it seems to me.  There is no way the US model of meat-eating can continue, and the dairy industry isn't a lot cleaner, so vegan lifestyles are a survival device, rather than a choice, until we get our species out of population overshoot (Earth without cheap oil supports perhaps two billion humans, Richard Heinberg says) and recalibrate from there.

Smiles.
Tommy