livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Gardening with Native foods and perenials/ Re: Resilient gardening

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Gardening with Native foods and perenials/ Re: Resilient gardening
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 17:33:08 -0600

Edible Landscaping: One Transition Step from Peak Oil
Will Stewart, The Oil Drum: Campfire
http://www.energybulletin.net/node/52988
We are told that in the US, the food on our table has traveled an average
of 1500 miles and consumed 9 calories of energy for each food calorie on our
plate. In a time when "oil prices are likely to be both higher and more
volatile and where oil prices have the potential to destabilize economic,
political and social activity"[1], we need a way to mitigate the near certain
risks of much higher impending food costs.