livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Gardening with Native foods and perenials/ Re: Resilient gardening

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Norma Sutton <sweetspringfarm@gmail.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Gardening with Native foods and perenials/ Re: Resilient gardening
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 00:17:28 -0400

I ran across this today.  A lot of these flowers grow were I am in NC.  I suspect they grow in a lot of areas.
Norma

http://montana.plant-life.org/pics_edible.htm

On 6/1/10, Tradingpost <tradingpost@lobo.net> wrote:

Impressive work. That germplasm repository is unfamiliar to me. But that list is amazing, and those food sources could become major contributors to local food security. And obviously, local food security can't depend on big ag monoculture, the short list of common field crops. Thing is, what's available from the list and what's practical to grow will vary enormously from place to place, and there are so many listed that some should be available in every area.

I'm not knowledgeable about most and don't have time to get into this big time, with market growing season on top of me. But it's an angle on local food security that needs a lot of work.  We have some Serviceberry we call Juneberry that refuses to die from neglect, and we've tried gooseberry before and should again. I've heard mesquite pod flour sustained the first spanish invaders but who's using it today?

We could use a lot more info on unusual food plants of all types from some of you.

I now have 3 books available in my lulu store:

http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=174864

visit our farm site
at:http://www.freewebs.com/sweetspringfarm/