livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Gardening with Native foods and perenials/ Re: Resilient gardening

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: anna Lorrai <cactusandquail@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Gardening with Native foods and perenials/ Re: Resilient gardening
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 17:01:40 -0700 (PDT)

I learned a year ago that palo verde seed from the trees is edible. While
green they taste like green peas. When they are dried I put them in the
coffee grinder and make flour. They make a very tasty pancake that is much
like buckwheat. The seeds are said to be high in protein. I love the tree,
it's strong green trunks, it's beautiful yellow flowers and the leaves are
like pine needles creating a nice mulch. Anna