livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Gardening with Native foods and perenials/ Re: Resilient gardening

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Gardening with Native foods and perenials/ Re: Resilient gardening
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 14:15:21 -0600

NATURE'S GARDEN - EDIBLE WILD PLANTS
Item#: 4534 Format: Paperback
https://www.motherearthnews.com/order/order.aspx?promocode=MMEEMA61&utm_content=MEN+Merch+6.3.10-Books&utm_campaign=Merchandise&utm_source=iPost&utm_medium=email#Item4534

Nature’s Garden follows the same award-winning format of Samuel Thayer’s
first book, with in-depth chapters covering 41 new wild edibles. In this
volume you will find the most authoritative accounts of several important
food plants, such as hackberry and American lotus, available anywhere. You
will find mouth-watering photography of cranberries, blueberries,
huckleberries, strawberries, wild plums, and more. You’ll hear of new methods
for using dandelions. You’ll finally be able to make sense of the tricky wild
lettuce / sow thistle group. You’ll discover that wild carrot and poison
hemlock can be reliably told apart, thanks to a detailed chart accompanied by
19 photographs. You’ll read about vegetables with a rich tradition of use
around the world that are largely ignored in the wild food literature, such
as cow parsnip, patience dock, and honewort. You can read more exciting
myth-busting about poisonous plant fables and the maligned black nightshade,
plus anecdotes about purple children and the hazards of eating cacti. Yet
perhaps the best part of all is the book within a book about acorns: 51 pages
of the details that turn these nuts into food.