livingontheland - [Livingontheland] guineas and squash bugs

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dianne Palmer-Quay <dpalmerquay@gmail.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] guineas and squash bugs
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 13:40:59 -0400

Harvey wrote:
>Once the squash vines start to run, I net the winter squash plot with
electric net fencing and put in 3 to 5 guineas. No more squash bug the
rest of the season.

Harvey,

Could you talk a little more about how you manage your guineas?  Do you clip wing feathers to keep them in the netting?  Where do they live the rest of the year?

I have a small (1 acre) suburban homestead with a second garden spot on borrowed land up the street at a neighbors' home.  This spot has more sun and is better for food production but insect pests are a real trial (along with the neighbor's free ranging chickens.  I have put netting around the garden this year, which has solved the marauding chicken problem. Now onto the bugs.

I have been offered a chance to go in on a order of keets but wasn't sure if I could keep the birds at home.

Thanks,
Dianne in SC