livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Permaculture - Farms for the Future

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <harvey@themodernhomestead.us>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Permaculture - Farms for the Future
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 12:30:22 -0500

My response to permaculture is this: In the near term
the urgent need is for millions to learn to produce all they
can in as little space as possible. ~Paul

And given a tight timeline?? where are they all going to get their seeds?
~Debbie

Good question, that one could be a whole subcrisis in itself.

I've been a laggard about seed saving, but this year I'm going to make it start happening. If you don't have it, Suzanne Ashworth's SEED TO SEED is the bible for the home seed saver. Also Carol Deppe's book on breeding your own varieties (or tweaking them to your own unique conditions).

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Virginia
www.themodernhomestead.us

The threat of nuclear weapons and man's ability to destroy the environment
are really alarming. And yet there are other almost imperceptible changes--I
am thinking of the exhaustion of our natural resources, and especially of
soil erosion--and these are perhaps more dangerous still, because once we
begin to feel their repercussions it will be too late. ~The Dalai Lama