livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Root Cellar Re: 11 Best Foods You Aren?t Eating

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pego Rice <firekeeper38@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Root Cellar Re: 11 Best Foods You Aren?t Eating
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 11:10:17 -0800 (PST)

I can't say anything to your marketing issues but I have to say the baby brassicas and the larger maturing ones have completly ignored the mid-teen nights I've had and I am getting a bumper crop of peas. I can't think of any season when sugar peas are not wanted, plus the vine tips are excelent in a stir fry or fritatta.

My point that seems to keep missing is that some crops are quite comfortable in this weather and you may simply be limiting yourself.  I am suggesting that you run out a few *All Through* the cold season and see what happens.  If you can't sell to market you can at least grow enough to supply yourself with fresh goodies.

Perhaps I am the one missing something, your mention of warm ground temps would indicate to me that your summer is longer than your winter and you are in or near the southern tier in weather.  4 frost-free months seems almost arctic.  Is your lack of cold cellar more to do with lack of dynamite to break up the permafrost?

Yours, Pego

<<Understood. We can only count on four months frost free, so there's only a narrow time frame for fall brassicas.....

However, a short season really cramps your crop choices for both methods. Another constraint is our summer markets run only about four months, and it's not economical to grow certain crops for the winter markets with fewer customers. .....

Working with the seasons here is part of my mission.>paul>>