livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Root Cellar Re: 11 Best Foods You Aren?t Eating

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Root Cellar Re: 11 Best Foods You Aren?t Eating
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 21:28:14 -0700

Understood. We can only count on four months frost free, so there's only a
narrow time frame for fall brassicas. But we'll try early plantings which
should mature about the time we get summer monsoon. A little rain here is a
monsoon. Some Brussels Sprouts and cauliflower or broccoli will go in as
early transplants from the greenhouse, and early snow peas from seed, if I
can keep on schedule working alone. Part of the trick for making the most of
a small area is succession and interplanting. However, a short season really
cramps your crop choices for both methods. Another constraint is our summer
markets run only about four months, and it's not economical to grow certain
crops for the winter markets with fewer customers.

Working with the seasons here is part of my mission. Most people don't have
the luxury of an ideal growing climate and we all need to learn to adapt. And
those of us who have a lot of books know they can't coach you on your local
conditions. Beyond the books it's all learn by doing. And lists like this
help fill in the blanks too.