livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Tomatoes

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pumpkin Lady <pumpkingal@clearwire.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Tomatoes
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 07:09:32 -0600

Emery Mitchamore wrote:
I've tried various "regular" and cherry Tomatoes with little luck. Mostly, it gets too hot too quickly for large Tomatoes, and Cherries are just not very fulfilling. I really like the golf ball-sized Campari, but seeds or plants don't seem to be available. Is there another mid-sized variety with the same qualities?

What is your heat like? Dry? Humid?

Mine is dry.

I grow Heatwave, which is a hybrid, and Taxi and Homestead which are heirlooms. San Marzano makes paste tomatoes well for me, but they don't taste as good as some others. San Marzano is cherry/plum sized and grew gobs of tomatoes that weren't too sweet(which is good in my book). Some plants had smaller fruits than others. I am planning to save seeds from only the plants that produced larger ones and see if that increases my fruit size.

Apologies if the message formats oddly, the cats are insisting on helping me type this morning.

Morgan