livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] mutual aid/ was That cruel joke called water law

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Carrie Shepard <carrieshepard@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] mutual aid/ was That cruel joke called water law
  • Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 19:21:53 -0700 (PDT)

> Recent events are speeding all this up. Barb is now talking
> about setting up local cooperation circles for various goods
> and skills. Too few know how to cook simple meals or cut
> heat loss in the winter.
>

> tradingpost@lobo.net

Paul, Tell Barb to go for it! I regularly teach drop spindling and
beginning knitting, and livestock husbandry skills as I learn them. My
husband and I and encourage people to take more responsibility for their
health (giving my personal radical diet changes to living foods and
therapeutic grade essential oils). I teach people how to take raw fleece and
wash it also (www.shepherdscross.com refers people to me or I go there to
teach pre-scheduled classes - I taught drop spindling here this year also:
http://www.fiberchristmas.com/) We share recipes for making things from
scratch from in season produce, like my gardening friends today who grow
awesome peppers and tomatoes, but didn't know how to roast the red ones to
make roasted red peppers in olive oil and garlic. Sometimes it's one person,
sometimes it's a family or a friend bringing another friend to learn
something. A fairly new acquaintance gave me the best response not long ago
after a
brief tour of our property and my fiber studio when he just looked at me and
said "Thank you for doing this and keeping these skills alive."

I've been thinking of starting a simple living group where each month we have
a potluck and several different people teach some sort of skill to help
others on this path.

Blessings,
Carrie
thankful to have put 5 roos in the freezer, 14 jars of basil-garlic tomato
sauce up, and 7 jars of chili sauce today, and 8 quart jars of salsa the day
before, and 7 pints of salsa the day before that.