livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] That cruel joke called water law

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Wayne <wa2yne@gmail.com>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] That cruel joke called water law
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 13:50:08 -0500

Consider that Los ANgeles, San Diego, and most of that region get their water from other parts of the state.
Cut off the aqueducts, and you'd soon find a serious major problem there.
Water rights are a big thing in many states.
Texas is one of the exceptions, where the majority of the state has both surface and ground water rights going with the land (state laws), though some areas the ground water is so deep as to be impractical, except at a very high cost.
I recall there was a new housing project just west of Rosamond California that was held up because of the water problem there. Dunno if that was resolved or not.
Individuals needed permits to have wells drilled, period, and some places in that region were not allowing new wells from what I recall reading.
Where I had land near Willow Springs, just west of Rosamond, one needed either a well, city water (ha ha ha), or a water hauler, or could prove they could haul adequate water, to be able to get a building permit. Permits tied in with water availablity.
Some parts of the country have few water problems, other have little water available.
No city of any size should be built without an adequate water supply.
YMMV

Wayne WA2YNE