livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] No-till planting

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] No-till planting
  • Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2008 13:46:15 -0600

I was trying to get you to do the math.

You're picking 3/4 acre to get four or five bushels, which can sell for $45
per bushel, more in smaller quantites. Say $300 gross from picking 3/4 acre.
How much do you spend getting to the point of harvest? Subtract that from
your gross. That's your profit. How many hours do you spend preparing the
soil, cultivating or weeding, picking, shelling, and selling (just for black
eyed peas)? Divide profit by total hours.

If you're picking and selling that much every day then you're paying a lot of
labor, which is a cost not figured in yet.

If you're growing other crops, do the same for each crop, allocating a
realistic amount of costs and labor to each crop. That's cost accounting. I
strongly suspect a lot of market growers don't know if they're breaking even
or not, much less making a profit. I bring this up because people think
market growing is just too much work. And the way most people do it, IT IS.
Until they learn some cost accounting and find intensive methods right for
their climate, they won't be driving new pickup trucks and nobody else will
want to grow for market. But we need a million more growers for food security.

Why don't you experiment on a smaller area, keep records, and report back to
us?