livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] TxBee Dry Land Farming

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] TxBee Dry Land Farming
  • Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2008 08:59:18 -0600

I hesitate to answer questions that make intensive growing sound
ridiculous. No, I don't use a stick. On a larger scale there are special
planters that plant through mulch, see newfarm.org . And as for corn, black
eyed peas, okra, oats, rye, wheat, etc., I have no interest in planting big
"fields" of anything, and we don't need millions of acres of grain to feed
our excessive appetite for beef and we don't need the stench of endless
Midwest feedlots that finish cattle on grains. Trying to imitate big
industrial row cropping is the surest route to bankruptcy, as millions of
farm families have learned over the years. Not to mention all the financial
and ecological disasters from monoculture farming. I'll let well known
researchers anwer more of your questions.

Getting the Most from Your Garden, Using Advanced Intensive Gardening
Techniques.
Author is Wallace, Daniel (ed)
Hardcover, ISBN 0878572910
Rodale Press, Inc. PA, 1980

High-Yield Gardening: How to Get More from Your Garden Space and More from
Your Gardening Season
Author is Hunt, Marjorie B.; Bortz, Brenda
Hardcover, ISBN 0878575995
Publisher: Rodale Pr, 1986

How to Grow More Vegetables
Author is Jeavons, John
Softcover, ISBN 0898154154
Publisher: Ten Speed Press, 1991

Better Vegetable Gardens the Chinese Way: Peter Chan's Raised-Bed System
Author is Chan, Peter
Softcover, ISBN 0912856300
Graphic Arts Center Pub. Co 1977

The New Organic Grower: A Master's Manual of Tools and Techniques for the
Home and Market Gardener
Author is Coleman, Eliot
Softcover, ISBN 0930031229
Publisher: Chelsea Green Pub Co, 1989