livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] TxBee Dry Land Farming

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: diebrand@yahoo.com, livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] TxBee Dry Land Farming
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2008 21:26:27 -0600

And dryland farming exposes the soil to wind and water erosion, which has
ruined farmland throughout history. Vanished civilizations often owed their
demise to unsustainable farming methods. Serious stuff. We once lived in an
area where they dryland farmed pinto beans in the '30s and '40s, but there is
nothing growing there at all now. I took pains to point out that without
water the aim of growing organic no-till is out of the question. And even
conventional dryland growing with little rain and no irrigation is usually
unprofitable in the first place.

For my part I grow vegetables with little rain and adequate irrigation on a
small plot. By growing intensively, getting the most production from a small
plot, the weeding, machinery, mulching, and soil amending is minimal compared
to the amount of production. Without intensive growing it would take an area
at least four times as large, and that much larger area would require far
more weeding, mulching, soil amending, plus machinery and even more water to
get the same production. Some intensive growers report much higher production
than I do. Of course if you reach a no-till point then labor drops even more.

This is the crux of the matter. Small plots grown intensively (with adequate
water) can be far more profitable for market or more worthwhile for home use
- not to mention sustainable in the long run. By intensive I mean close
planting in well amended permanent beds, double cropping in the season, and
season extension methods. Too many growers will go on trying to imitate
industrial row cropping with wholesale marketing, and go belly up in the
process. It's too much work for too little profit - if any.