livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] No till and market gardening (was tractors?)

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Liz <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] No till and market gardening (was tractors?)
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 18:44:39 -0400

At 01:28 AM 6/8/2008, you wrote:
People claim that initial tillage is sometimes necessary (I don't have enough experience to argue this point), in which case my question was more about initial soil prep than with continuing prep.

But my question still stands: is the use of a broadfork considered tillage?

The ads I've seen for them say they aren't for initial soil prep, and that's been my experience with my little three-tine fork. It might be all right for digging up areas previously planted in grass, but it doesn't make a dent in what I've got (weeds growing in clay). Even a roto-tiller just bounces off the surface. No-till was not only the smartest thing for me to do, it was the only thing that worked.

Liz in SW VA
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com