livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] No till and market gardening (was tractors?)

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Liz <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] No till and market gardening (was tractors?)
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 10:43:40 -0400

At 11:34 PM 6/7/2008, you wrote:

My beds that have sufficient organic matter and stay mulched and moist through the summer don't need loosening next spring. I'll pull back the mulch, add a thin layer of composted manure and trace amounts of certain goodies, plant and remulch.

My beds are only two years old (this is the third season), and they're getting to that point, but it's probably going to take another year for them to be really soft and loose. I mulch heavily also, but this land was planted in tobacco, year after year for decades, and there is NO organic matter in it that I didn't put there.

Liz in SW VA
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com