livingontheland - [Livingontheland] No till and market gardening (was tractors?)

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Nigel Kirby" <naturespirit@clearwire.net>
  • To: "'Healthy soil and sustainable growing'" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] No till and market gardening (was tractors?)
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 21:23:26 -0700

I would love to hear more about your gardening/farming methods Paul (and
anyone else). I have just started market gardening this year and can already
tell I have a lot to learn about the business. Not making very much money
but I'm loving the work. I know I need to get more efficient and would love
to learn from others how they are doing this and bringing in an income.

I'm all for no till and would love to hear what this means to others and how
they're doing it.
I sheet mulched some new planting areas last fall for this season but had to
do a lot of weeding to remove rhizominous (sp?) grasses, which I have found
sheet mulching will not get rid of, and ended up disturbing the soil quite a
bit. I also used a ton of mulch and can't imagine how much I would need to
do a bigger area.
Another area I left covered in straw all winter seemed too hard to plant
directly into after I removed the mulch (I was hoping to see a nice layer of
compost on the surface) so I went through with my fork trying to crack the
soil but without turning it.

Any advice on these topics and market gardening in general would be greatly
appreciated. I have lots of room to expand but I would prefer to use what I
have and sell as much as I can from my existing beds.

Thanks for the help

Nige