livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Permaculture and Haiti

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Ken Hargesheimer <minifarms2@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Permaculture and Haiti
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 13:08:04 -0700 (PDT)

I have read The Permaculture book and it is recommended reading. Very good.

The people of Haiti, in times past, produced their own food but our dumping corn on the world market below the cost of production here and in every country, makes farming impossible.  No market.  Subsistence farmers, most of the time, know the way they farm is not the best but they have no choice.  They have no market for what they produce and no money to buy the things they need such as seed for cover crops, etc.  No one to train them in organic, no-till.  Nude hills everywhere. I stood in a field without any top soil.  It had washed away.

Ken Hargesheimer