livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Seed Availability/

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: emitch@att.net, livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Seed Availability/
  • Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 21:36:40 -0600

Harvey, there's been some consolidation in the seed business. To me it's not
a good sign.

My favorite supplier here in NM is a combination of Italian Seed & Tool,
Harvest Moon, and another company. It's now Gourmet Seed Intl.
http://www.gourmetseed.com . Seed companies do come and go. Some of the
oldest seed houses in the country are still in business tho most have never
heard of them. Landreth claims to be the oldest http://www.landrethseeds.com/
since 1784. Comstock, Ferre & Co.claims to be the oldest continuously
operating seed house in the U.S. since 1820. http://www.comstockferre.com/ .
See History of the American Seed and Nursery Industry, Bibliography
http://www.sil.si.edu/SILPublications/seeds/bibseednur.html . Quite a tour.