livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] How do you start?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pumpkin Lady <pumpkin@xanadoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] How do you start?
  • Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 10:54:54 -0500

Tradingpost wrote:
Well, you already found Ruth Stout which is no-till, and lasagna gardening and double digging which are not no-till.

I know why double digging isn't no till, but why isn't lasagna?

Any questions, toss 'em out. We're here.

I guess I'm having trouble with the concept of "walk out there, put in irrigation system, put in plants, cover with mulch. Wait for things to grow." I know when you look at it, it's not that much different than regular gardening, but is that really all it is? With fine tuning according to location and plant needs of course.

It sounds entirely too simple. *laugh* Of course the reason I want to go no-till is my continuing lack of energy even though I don't think my doctor officially classifies me a fibromyalgic any more. No till just seems to require so much less physical strength and drudgery than regular gardening.

Happy growing,
Morgan