livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] NO-TILL FARMING OFFERS A QUICK FIX TO HELPWARD OFF HOST OF GLOBAL PROBLEMS

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Phil Bunch" <pbunch@cox.net>
  • To: "'Healthy soil and sustainable growing'" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] NO-TILL FARMING OFFERS A QUICK FIX TO HELPWARD OFF HOST OF GLOBAL PROBLEMS
  • Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 08:16:39 -0800

I agree with Paul that we can learn from traditional farming systems. I also
think that we are in a unique position to integrate what many cultures have
discovered over very long times with the more recent knowledge of soil
ecology. Some things will work well in given locations and others will not.
The knowledge sharing on lists like this will help us sort out what is
valuable and disseminate the information broadly.

Soil is a complex system. As in all complex systems there is a limit to what
we can know about the behavior of any given soil at any given time with any
given set of modifications. It's like the weather, the large number of
interacting variables leads to non-linear behavior. It is a mistake to think
about the soil as an object, it is a process.

That being said we do know a fair amount about how these processes behave
and what the components of the system are. For farming probably the most
important thing to understand is how to prevent erosion. We know that once a
soil is gone it is time consuming and expensive to recover good soil
functions. No-till is certainly a good erosion prevention practice.

We know that in most native soils there is a diverse community of organisms
including, bacteria, fungi, insects, mites, nematodes and other worms as
well as many less well know critters. These form food chains mostly supplied
with energy from the sun via plants. The plants also use minerals in the
soil. The soil ecology is dominated by decomposition processes.

Diversity provides soils with resilience in the face of change. If a cow
drops a load at some point on a soil surface the conditions at that location
are drastically different than they were a few moments before the event. Not
all organisms are competent decomposers of cow dung. Those competent
organisms at or near the site suddenly have much better conditions, and
incompetents have much worse conditions. Soon however this imbalance is
resolved through a complex set of changes which eventually return to a state
similar to the pre-drop condition. The establishment of a nitrogen fixing
plant at a site also causes changes in the local conditions as does the fall
of a leaf.

The long term application of tillage and massive nutrient inputs probably
results in a new, less diverse steady state. I don't have data on hand to
back this up but in ecology this is the typical outcome of frequently
repeated disturbance. Given time and the absence of such disturbance,
systems return to a steady state that often is similar to the original.

The problem humans face is how to manage this system to their benefit, both
long and short-term. Tillage and the input of massive amounts of nutrients
are very big changes on a large scale and cause the soil to adapt to the
conditions they create. Natural changes are mostly small-scale and patchy.
This is a fundamental difference because the patchiness supports diversity
and resilience. Tillage, no-till and organic methods are all forms of
management. They affect the soil in different ways.

When it comes down to it, what we want from the soil is food in the largest
quantity consistent with sustainable production. We don't really want a
native soil because it does not provide the conditions we need to produce
crops. We do want to prevent erosion, reduce inputs of time and money and
harvest wholesome crops.

As is the case with any human endeavor we must clearly define our values and
goals if we want to achieve our mission. Once this is done we need to choose
the methods that best achieve what we want. My personal belief is that both
no-till and organic methods should be used together in an overall management
strategy. Use each as prescriptions for specific needs. (As some may recall
I also think there is a place for limited use of commercial fertilizers but
they are specific and should be seen as very short-term fixes that allow the
rapid application of sustainable means.)

I suspect that no-till or low till most closely approximates the conditions
of native soils and provides the greatest opportunities to maintain a
sustainable, productive, diverse and resilient soil. If this is the case a
long-term goal of no-till/low-till would be the way to go. I would use
organic methods to build toward this goal and to fix soil problems such as
low fertility should they occur. I suspect that organic methods probably
have greater short-term productivity but may expose the soil to erosion and
fairly substantial fluctuations with concomitant reductions in diversity.
Trade-offs may be necessary to reach and sustain goals.

There may be some locations where no-till methods would limit production in
such a way that it would not support our goals. I'm thinking about
constantly cool climates which need to have the soil exposed to sunlight to
warm it up. Very cool soils limit production substantially and greatly
reduce the crops that can be grown.

Phil Bunch