livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] NO-TILL FARMING OFFERS A QUICK FIX TO HELPWARD OFF HOST OF GLOBAL PROBLEMS

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Ken Hargesheimer <minifarms2@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] NO-TILL FARMING OFFERS A QUICK FIX TO HELPWARD OFF HOST OF GLOBAL PROBLEMS
  • Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 11:29:49 -0800 (PST)

Northern Nigeria is tropical, dry [up to 7 months of dry season] iwth not much rains and no-till works there.  The research people [I have been to the experiment station] say that during the rainy season when organic matter is tilled in, it has a half-life of no more than 10 days.  Use no-till.  Where I lived in Nigeria was further south but we had a six months dry season then we got over 100 inches of rain.

Ken Hargesheimer

Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com> wrote:
A no-till method for growing food under such climatic conditions
would be most beneficial because it is exactly the hot regions of
the World where loss of organic content is most dramatic, but to
my knowledge there is no such method.

Dieter Brand
Portugal