livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] NO-TILL FARMING OFFERS A QUICK FIX TO HELPWARD OFF HOST OF GLOBAL PROBLEMS

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] NO-TILL FARMING OFFERS A QUICK FIX TO HELPWARD OFF HOST OF GLOBAL PROBLEMS
  • Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 07:48:22 -0700

Standard advice from organic advocates has long been keep the soil covered
with organic material to decompose, use green matter to decompose browns,
keep compost and soil moist but not waterlogged, and avoid monoculture that
makes an entire crop vulnerable to pests or disease. There's more and many
variations but that's pretty universal, and good practices go way back long
before we ever heard the word organic.