livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] (no subject)

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] (no subject)
  • Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 20:32:34 -0700

They say recession is when your neighbor loses her job; depression is when
you lose your job. Along that line, we already have millions in this
country feeling the ill effects of modern estrangement from the land. And
to them the breakdown has already come. Processed food lacking sufficient
nutrition comes to mind. Millions eat those awful commodities from the USDA
program. Millions more live on fast food and grocery junk food. Much of our
population rarely sees the outdoors or enjoys sunlight. And from all this -
plus unnatural pollution and thousands of chemicals in everything - we have
the highest rate of chronic illness, mental illness, and degenerative
diseases on the planet, and pay far more for health care - so called - than
any other country. We also work longer hours, suffer more stress, and miss
more sleep than other industrialized countries. To make a long story short,
the further we get from the natural ways of living on the land, the sicker
we get. Breakdown is a gradual degrading of our lives sneaking up on us
from all directions. Protecting ourselves is also a gradual process as we
relearn how to live on the land.