livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Cover crops benefit everyones soil

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Zachary Domikez <zdomike@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Cover crops benefit everyones soil
  • Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 10:45:21 -0700 (PDT)

Dieter and Aliza are in hot dry climates, which is the
opposite of the south of Chile. Here, if you leave
the organic matter, the cool night temperatures,
always below 10C, or 50F, will reduce microbial
action, aka- decomposition. That, and the regular
showers washing away the same microbes, leaves the
leaves, and the forests and fields here reflect that
lack of action.

There is very little topsoil production! A bit more
warmth, less rain, and soil could develop. Stuff just
sits there, year after year. . . . .

I compost in cubic meter (cubic yard) bins made out of
covered disposable polyethylene sleeves, to increase
the heat and reduce the washing action of the rain.

Also, lasagne layering has worked well for raised
beds.

Regards,
Zack