livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Cover crops benefit everyones soil

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Cover crops benefit everyones soil
  • Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 19:35:31 -0600

A couple exceptions if I may. Forested areas in tropical climates don't
build much soil organic matter. Southern U.S. pine forests for example are
notorious for thin soil, as is the Amazon in general. Northern U.S. and
European forests do have serious organic matter and stable humus. The U.S.
midwest grassland prairie - now the breadbasket - had very deep topsoil and
stable humus, tho it's been depleted by perhaps 50% since the coming of the
plow and water pumping windmill. They say the root system of grasses is the
best soil and humus builder. All according to the information I've seen.