livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] CHRONIC ILLNESS COSTS THE ECONOMY MORE THAN $1 TRILLION A YEAR

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Anna Webb <electricwind@earthlink.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] CHRONIC ILLNESS COSTS THE ECONOMY MORE THAN $1 TRILLION A YEAR
  • Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 08:31:15 -1000

Aloha from Hawaii,
I have been a lurker on the group for a few years now. This article prompted me to throw in my .02.

I'm seeing a disturbing trend in our country these "days" and feel the need to add some additional information that this "independent" think tank (with basic corporate interests in mind) has announced.

It's not just about eating, exercise and healthy lifestyles. It's about POLLUTION. For example, the 5 "worst" states listed just so happen to be listed in another study - done by Harvard back in the early 2000's. In this study, it's noted that:

Coal-fired industrial plants, mainly electric utility facilities, produce the bulk of regional air pollution. See AppMap. For the southern Appalachian states of Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia, xx% of the sulfur oxides, xx% of the nitrogen oxides, xx% of the mercury, and xx% of carbon dioxide come from utility plants in those eight states. Utility plants in nearby states, especially Ohio and Indiana, also contribute significantly to these pollutants deposited in the southern Appalachian states.
www.etsu.edu/writing/adcomp_s03/airqualitydraft.doc

What tends to happen, according to these studies, is that the air pollution generated from fossil fuel burning plants - moves into the Appalachian Mountain areas and becomes trapped. In addition, most are coal mining states which heavily pollute ground water sources which in turn pollute individuals water sources contributing to disease and chronic illness, as well. If we look at this factor alone, then it makes sense that California is listed as "generally healthier than the rest of the country" - air patterns on Mainland U.S. and thus air pollution moves from West to East - and the horrid brown cloud from China typically makes landfall somewhere in the NW U.S.

Yet rather than even mention pollution as a factor in the Milken Institute study, they ignore it completely. They mention curbing obesity, smoking and pre-screening/prevention.

Announcements made to the public by "think tanks", which are rarely independent and usually represent the "corporatocracy" in one way or another, are meant to justify a "means to the end" - such as taxation, discrimination in the workplace regarding health insurance coverage, genetic testing in the workplace, or in this case, possible development and acceptance of new vaccines and/or drugs. Since it was funded by the PRMAA (Big Pharma Mfr. Assn.) it's likely to allow for new legislation which no doubt will benefit an already multi-billion dollar industry in some way.

This is just the beginning point to get "everyone" behind it, IMO. I'm not saying as a whole that we don't need to throw away our chips and grab an apple (or in my case, a mango, papaya or banana) - just be aware that all that is piped up our happy behinds isn't necessarily the straight up truth of it all.

BTW - I love this list even though I don't have much soil! I have to grow my veggies in containers here - I love reading the information posted, and the different websites that you all have. I'm from the Midwest and while I miss my garden and this lovely time of the year, I don't miss shoveling feet of snow.
I share info from this list frequently with other groups and with friends and family - and appreciate all of your input.

Peas and Aloha, Anna