livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Cover crops benefit everyones soil

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <boxwood@nelsoncable.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Cover crops benefit everyones soil
  • Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 12:28:49 -0400

They say the root system of grasses is the
best soil and humus builder. ~paul

Especially in connection with grazing animals, by the way.

One thing I learned from Joel Salatin's latest book (EVERYTHING I WANT TO DO IS ILLEGAL--great fun, guaranteed to get your blood boiling): In order to re-establish balance between top growth and root mass after being grazed, perennial grasses and legumes that have co-evolved with grazing animals shed root hairs (and in the case of legumes like clovers and alfalfa, nitrate nodules on their roots). The sloughed-off root hairs (and nitrate nodules) add to soil fertility and humus accumulation through successive cycles of growth and grazing.

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Va
www.themodernhomestead.us

"How we eat determines, to a considerable extent, how the world is used."
~Wendell Berry